We are delighted to announce a Call for Papers for the SHS’s first annual conference, to be held at the University of Edinburgh on Saturday, 16 March 2024. Reflecting our commitment to publishing original sources related to the history of Scotland, the conference will explore ‘The Sources of Scottish History,’ ranging from the medieval to modern period. The Society’s AGM and Presidential Lecture will be included as part of the conference.
We invite proposals for individual papers (20 minutes in length) that examine manuscripts related to Scottish history from a variety of perspectives. These include (but are not limited to) cultural, social, economic, legal, constitutional, intellectual, military, or religious history. Papers might also address:
- A manuscript’s significance for the history of Scotland
- Multiple manuscripts in a collection
- Different genres of manuscripts (correspondence, diaries, sermons, treatises, etc.)
- The use of non-textual manuscripts (maps, images, etc.)
- Relationships between textual and non-textual sources
- Reflections on transcribing and editing manuscripts
- The provenance and preservation of archival sources
- Methods for analysing manuscript sources
While papers should emphasise manuscripts related to the history of Scotland, the material discussed does not need to be held in Scottish archives. Papers which incorporate sources in languages other than English and Scots are also welcome.
The deadline for paper proposals is 31 August 2023. Please send an abstract (250 words maximum) and brief biographical note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Society’s AGM and the Presidential Lecture will be included as part of the conference. Further information about the conference, Scottish History Society events, and membership can be found on our website: https://scottishhistorysociety.com.